You got bangs some months ago, and now they need a trim! We all know that bangs look awesome… if well groomed. Read on, we will tell you how to take care of that from the comfort of your home.
After this post, you will be able to trim your own bangs with much confidence. So, without much ado, let’s start!
Should You Trim Your Bangs at Home?
Well, if you hate visiting a hair salon every time your hair grows an inch, then you should definitely try this out. Besides, it’s a great way to save money, which we love at Buzzcut guide.
What you need
You cannot start something without proper equipment or accessories. So, here you will need:
- A comb
- A pair of scissors
- A 3-way mirror (or a regular one)
- Water, and
- Your bangs of course
Step 1: Spray With Water
Now that you have all accessories ready, let’s move to how to actually trim bangs. For the first step, you need to spray your bangs with water. However, do not overdo it: make sure that only a part of the bangs is slightly wet. Otherwise you’ll have a tough time making them straight or drying them out.
Step 2: Use Alligator Pins To Clip the hair Back
After you have properly located your bangs and made them wet, you need to use alligator pins or bobby pins to straighten out the hair. This will help you trim your bangs easily, without worrying about the extra hair falling off your clippers. Plus, it will also help you shape the fringe at the shape of your scalp.
Step 3: Segregate The Bangs
Now comb your bangs and make sure that they lie flat on your scalp. Slowly, separate your bangs from the rest of your hair with your fingers. Once you have done that, lift that fringe of hair with your fingers. Ideally, your fingers should be in the position from where you would crop your bangs, horizontally to the ends.
Step 4: Chop Chop Chop
The next step is the fun part. All you need to do is chopping off your bangs slowly, with the help of scissors. Make sure you don’t hack off a chunk of hair. Always go slow and make sure that you only trim your bangs. If you do it slowly, you won’t need to ask anyone how to trim bangs or visit your hairdresser just for that.
Step 5: Comb It
Once you have completed trimming your bangs, comb it. This will not only get rid of the small hair, but also help you see if you have trimmed your bangs correctly. Try combing it in a straight line, as you will know if it requires more work or not.
Step 6: Trim Your Bangs Again If It’s Not Straight
This step is optional. If you have trimmed your bangs properly at the first try, you don’t need to do it again. In case you haven’t and you’ve found that after combing your hair, make sure you use scissors once more to trim them properly. A mirror can come in handy!
- You might be thinking that trimming bangs at home is a bit tough than you would have thought. Remember, practice makes perfect! Take your time. First, make sure that you layer out your bangs. If you don’t layer them out, you can hack off your hair unevenly, and no one wants that. Also, when you apply water, make sure that you add only the minimum. If the hair sticks to your scalp, you’ll have a hard time sizing up your hair in the proper way.
- Use layers! One advantage you have when you snip hair in layers is that once you have completed the first layer, all the hard work is done. All you need to do is shape the other layers according to that, and your work is done.
- As said before, take your time. You don’t want to rush the process to only have messed up bangs. Bangs take time, but is really worth it.
- If you are unsure you have the perfect line, use a frozen office tape for that. Just comb your bangs and then apply a strip of office tape. Ideally, you’d cut off your bangs along the straight line of the tape. This helps you maintain a straight line, and not comb your bangs every once in a while. If you have split ends or sensitive hair, just apply the tape on your hands and then apply it on the hair. Don’t use duct tape or any other tape for this process, or it might hurt your scalp.
In case you are using fingers to snip your bangs, make sure that you snip upwards. This will create soft bangs and you will be able to work up towards natural hair bangs. If you are a first time bang trimmer, you can easily brush your bangs and then gather them in a ponytail before snipping it off.
If you are still asking people or searching ‘How To trim Bangs’, you need to make sure that you’ve understood the process. While you are trimming your bangs, use scissors instead of clippers. With scissors, you can keep control of what you are snipping, with clippers you cannot. Moreover, it is really okay to end up with longer bangs than snipping off too much or too unevenly. Remember, the size of the bangs doesn’t matter as much as the final shape you achieve.